World Wildlife Fund (WWF), one of the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Communications Director, Forests based in Washington, DC. This position will lead the development and execution of short- and long-term external communications strategies that help WWF reach the conservation goals and objectives it has set for the forests goal. Recognized at WWF-US and in the WWF network as the communications expert for the forests goal. Serves as the first point of contact on internal and external communications inquiries related to the forests goal.
- Develops all short- and long-term external communications strategies related to the forests goal.
- Works in collaboration with Marketing and Communications department (including Media Relations), other program communicators, and partners in the WWF Network to develop and execute forest-related communications.
- Ensures that the communications strategies related to the forests goal are executed in a timely fashion and within budget.
- Develops content and stories for forest initiatives and reviews content and stories related to the forests goal that are created by others at WWF-US. The content is for a variety of WWF and third-party channels and various types of collateral (e.g., websites, social, videos, presentations, brochures, and magazines).
- Leads, coordinates and/or supports as appropriate the communications for advocacy and policy conventions, meetings and events.
- Provides insights, at the team and organization levels, on the communications aspects of projects being developed.
- Ensures consistent messaging on programmatic issues and reactive communications for key audiences (external and internal).
- Monitors and shares with Forest team leadership information about communications-related trends.
- Helps manage conflict and crisis communications related to the forests goal.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, media, marketing or related subject required.
- Position requires at least 8 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated success in conceptualizing, developing, implementing, and managing communications strategies that support an entity’s goals.
- Experience with mission-oriented, strategic communications, or brand marketing.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative and innovative thinking.
- Must have strong relationship building skills; able to successfully work as part of a high-level team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to anticipate communications conflicts, as well as risk to our reputation and brand, and work to mitigate these risks.
- Strong commitment to mission, goals, and values of WWF.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous projects.
- Attention to detail, diplomacy, and discretion.