The Senior Director of Strategic Development will have a bold and exciting mandate to set the strategic fundraising and donor relationship strategy for all Pencil of Promise’s (PoP) efforts in order to diversify PoP’s philanthropic partnerships and expand the organization’s base of support. The Senior Director will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Senior Vice President, External Affairs (SVP) as key strategic partners on a variety of fundraising initiatives and serve as the development lead for foundations and corporate social responsibility.
The Senior Director, Strategic Development will be directly responsible for the effective strategic development and management of relationships for a portfolio of high-level foundations, corporate partners, and major gifts including the successful cultivation and solicitation of 6-7 figure gifts that provide significant support for PoP to carry out its mission.
The position requires a high performing development professional comfortable managing concurrent priorities in a dynamic, high-growth, collaborative organization with onsite and remote team members both domestic and abroad. The ideal candidate must have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and experience working effectively across organizational and functional roles within international NGOs.
Report to: Senior Vice President, External Affairs
Philanthropy Culture Building
- Foster a culture of philanthropy and ensure that fund development and stewardship of relationships are executed in keeping with PoP’s values, vision and mission
- Leverage External Affairs Team to support overarching fundraising goals of $10 mm annually
- Serve on the Board Committee for External Affairs alongside SVP, External Affairs
Portfolio Management of Institutional Donors
- Research, develop and steward a portfolio of foundations, selected family foundations and corporate foundations
- Develop and oversee all grant applications and proposals, and execute on all quarterly and year-end reports, in conjunction with the Impact Team and staff across the organization
- Develop in-country fundraising strategy and partner with Country Directors to execute
- Create a comprehensive strategy for funding diversification; increase support from among individuals, corporations, major foundations, corporate social responsibility and corporate matching programs.
- Collaborate extensively with colleagues on the External Affairs and Impact teams to develop strategy and content for donor and partner outreach and effective relationship management
- Lead pipeline development and translate long-term development plan into annual, quarterly and monthly plans to deliver on development goals
- Oversee the development and implementation of a stewardship program for donors that will include cultivation events, special programs/pilots (i.e. Read to Build Literacy pilot), and a gift-recognition policy
Systems, Tracking & Reporting
- Ensure effective development operations by building and/or refining the appropriate systems, tools, and processes to support the team’s work
- Analyze historical and market data to support the CEO and SVP in setting ambitious yet feasible revenue, donor quantity, and retention goals, and set interim benchmarks to ensure progress
- Oversee the creation and distribution of all revenue-focused internal and external resource documents, support the development of the organization’s Annual Report
People Management & Team Leadership
- Oversight and direct management of the Director of Strategic Partnerships, Senior Manager of Strategic Partnerships, & Grant Writer
- Motivate, inspire, and coach the wider External Affairs team in developing and executing on development strategies, employing a coaching approach and collaboration mentality to support members in their goal attainment and ongoing professional development
- Embed and integrate fundraising culture across the organization
- Enthusiasm and genuine passion for our mission
- BA and 10-15 years of relevant experience, with a keen understanding of best practices in fundraising in international development
- Experience fundraising in contexts of growth, scale or expansion
- Demonstrated experience building successful fundraising plans; proven track record of growing budgets and diversifying funding, significantly, over multiple years
- Experience overseeing and managing departmental budgets and managing restricted funding
- Leadership in developing, articulating, and implementing annual strategic plans
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead and effectively manage remote and onsite staff
- Outstanding ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-lasting relationships
- Strong presentation skills and business acumen
- Proven resourcefulness, creativity, and flexibility
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time, including both domestic and internationally to PoP’s three countries of Ghana, Guatemala and Laos
ABOUT THE OFFICE
We are a passionate, driven, and fun group of individuals. We have a unique, energetic office culture that is sometimes casual and light, but, at all times, the PoP team is very much focused and committed to working hard in the name of our cause. You will find nothing besides positive attitudes, determination, and smiles at the PoP office.